[Yemen] New Mission New Country New Position


In Kung Fu Panda 3, Master Shifu told Po to teach his friends. Po refused because he didn't know how to teach. Then Shifu said to Po,"If you only do what you can do, you will never be more than what you are now."

And that what happens to me now. Coming to Yemen knowing that I'll be a Medical Activity Manager instead of "only" as ER Doctor scares me and excites me at the same time. Medical activity manager is basically an administrator. that person runs some part of the hospital. yup. running the hospital. responsible not only for medical-clinical stuffs, but also HR stuffs, referrals and training. big deal. I am not sure if I can do it, but as Shifu said above i will never be more than I am now if I only choose to do what I am capable of doing.
 
Actually, this is what I did when I was in Karachi, Pakistan on my first ever mission with MSF. I was supervising the national doctors, conducted training and made sure that protocols are respected and followed. The difference is: that was a clinic, this is a hospital.

I actually learned about this new position when I received the contract from HQ while I was waiting for my connecting flight to Djibouti. I was surprised of course but nonetheless excited at the possibility doing something new and different.

I was already suspicious when I read end of mission report from my predecessor. Because she was doing a lot more than an ER Doctor supposed to do. And that email just clarify my suspicion. I asked though, the HR in HQ to clarify this to the pool manager that offered me the position the first time. no answer yet.

It is a completely different challenge from what was offered before.

Well, I'm already on the field. So even if the contract remains the same, I am not coming back before I do What I've come for.

It takes a lot of efforts of course, but I'm up for the challenge.
 
 
Note: The reply came from HQ. They changed the position from Medical Activity Manager into ER MD. But the job description remains the same. -__-


Comments

Popular Posts